Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Headway...

I'm sure that it has become a running gag with my friends and co-workers, that at any time if asked, I would be headed to a homeowners meeting. Unfortunately, the process has been anything but a joke. It has been the meeting equivalent of the Bataan Death March. Finally however, it seemed like we are getting somewhere, and perhaps the light at the proverbial "end of the tunnel" might be flickering in the distance.

Last Friday was a turning point for me. I had a special meeting scheduled to finally put to rest an issue that has been dividing the assembly for months. I thought that I had sufficient votes rallied to pass the motion, and was looking forward to moving on after literally months of contentious meetings over the issue. As it turned out, the meeting devolved into a yelling match (of which I did not partake) between some trustees and a few homeowners. I was appalled by the whole scene, and walked away totally dejected. I told myself that I couldn't be part of an organization so dysfunctional. I'd have to resign from this mess and let someone who had a higher pain tolerance take it from there. Then I remembered a quote I'd once heard...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing."

After some soul searching I decided that it would be better to fight then flee. So I got on the phone with some of the other trustees and helped arrange a meeting. Those that are like minded sensible people were invited, and those who thrive on chaos and disorder were excluded. A total of seven of the 11 sitting trustees were present. Enough to create a quorum and pass any resolution or motion that comes in front of the board. You might characterize it as a voting block that intends to create an orderly transition to some sort of effectiveness of the board.

The last thing I wanted to be when I started this was a politician. I didn't have a clue how difficult it would be to constantly deal with irrational people who have secret agendas, and how much of my time would be dedicated to disproving their take on rules and laws. If we can simply achieve a few of the goals that we set out to achieve, then the initial nightmare will have been worth the effort. If the coalition that has been formed can stand together then all things are possible. If the coalition falls apart then all of the efforts to date will have accomplished exactly nothing.

We will see if my diplomatic skills are enough to keep things on track, or if they wilt in the onslaught that is sure to develop when the "outsiders" find out they have been out maneuvered. The coalition intends to be fair and honest, but that might not prove to be enough to move our agenda. Those who favor doing things "their way" always tend to have the loudest voices and the largest banners. Those who attempt to maintain a dignified and contemplative approach are drowned out by the shrill voices of the dissenters. Only time will tell if the outsiders will fall in line.

Wish me luck.

- ND

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

BAM! You go ND! In my various Quixotic battles, I have found that a passing familiarity with Robert Rules of Order is in order (wasn't that clever?). Visit www.robertsrules.org for a primer and keep fighting the good fight. During my wild five month career in politics, I have found that you are discouraged more often that encouraged. It's sh!tty and that's why most reasonable people avoid it, but I've found that the world goes to those who show up - and I plan on showing up EVERY frickin' time.

ps. M. Fawkes - I plan on wearing your visage very soon. Please post again!

Anonymous said...

I cannot disappoint a fan.

While I may not be the best character to speak on such a subject, I will attempt. See, I was known for using black powder rather than gray matter when dealing with unreasonable beings. A blunt and abrupt tool, when time and patience would prove a better tactic.

What you have in front of you is a test of patience that many would refer to as 'the patience of a Saint'. But let me tell you - not even Saints have the patience for such politics. They were benefactors of better audiences I'm afraid.

1) You seem to have conquered this one already - gaining the respect of reasonable minds. You have a coalition as you say, the beginnings of solidarity in the ranks.

2) You need to find a spokesman - someone within the coalition that has the most wide reaching respect. Careful that you do not assume it to be yourself - there may be a better candidate. Allow wisdom to overcome any ego that may be lurking. Besides, if the thing blows up - there's your patsy (I speak from unfortunate experience here lad).

3) You must prevail without scorching the earth. Do not allow the other 5 to bond together and form a united resistance. Do not become confrontational to anyone that oppose you. Do not take the 'with us or against us' approach. However, when the time comes you may have to be confrontational with a specific target (but have patience not to strike too quickly - certainly not in the first meeting). In more modern terms - 'when nothing else works, sometimes you have to throw the first gook out of the plane - the rest will fall into line upon the sight'.

You can also try the carrot method and 'promote' one of the 'others' in order to gain the loyalty of other ranks. My Machiavelli is rusty, but I think this is accurate.

So, toss a gook, hang a carrot, whatever works for you.

4) Do not allow success to bring too wide sweeping, immediate change. Prioritize what needs to be changed and work down the list at a reasonable pace. You do not want to seem as chaotic and controlling as the party you ousted. Devil I knew vs.... you get the drift.

Nabor Dan said...

Tond,

I have a new appreciation for the work that you have done over the years as a volunteer. I know that your foray into politics is an expansion of your general "do gooder" nature. It's a shame that in attempting to create a better, world, community etc... it is such a challenge to overcome obstacles that are constantly places in your path by people who see things differently. I can respect the views and mission of others, but I can't always respect the way they try to achieve them.

You're operating on a much larger stage with your efforts. I can understand that people are apt to get very political. I don't think that the amount of politicking I'm involved in is appropriate for the setting. I guess some people just have so much time on their hands that they can afford to make much of nothing. I on the other hand have cut significantly into my free time, and I have better things to spend my time on then endless meeting that archive nothing. Moreover... I despise working in a negative environment.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

- ND

Nabor Dan said...

Mr Fawkes,

As always your comments are insightful and worthy of my consideration.

I agree with your suggestions and feel that they are the best course. I have been slowly politicking my way toward the same type of path you have suggested. I certainly never considered myself as the "front man" for the coalition that I've helped assemble. I've always found that the real work gets done in the dark back rooms, and that keeping a low profile allows a certain degree of flexibility. I like the role of diplomat... it allows me to work for the resolution and not fight for the dogma.

I only have one question regarding your strategy... where do you suggest that I find the gook?

- ND

Anonymous said...

Answer to gook question:

The wire.

Anon.

Anonymous said...

200 days of non-smoking - well done!

alicewonderland said...

If a bunch of people living in the same subdivision have such tensions, it is no wonder that world politics are such a mess. Besides, I thought you were running away with the band.

Nabor Dan said...

Thanks for the call-out on the non smoking milestone.

-ND

Nabor Dan said...

As you can see from the most recent post... I have run away with the band. I thought that they had power over everything. I guess the weather is out of their control.

- ND