Monday, November 05, 2007

If I post it... they will come...

I apologize for the layoff on posting, but I just couldn't come up with anything worth saying. Although that condition still exists, I have decided that the maximum interval between posts has been reached and a new post is necessary.

This weekend I decided that my pile of unopened mail had risen to a point of collapse and had to be dealt with. I tend to get the mail from the mailbox about twice a week. I'm not sure if it's the walk down there that bothers me, or the knowledge that anything delivered via the mail is going to be bad news. I usually find only one or two items that are not addressed to "or current resident", and depending on my level of motivation I may pull out the ones actually addressed to me. More often than not I just put the little pile of folded over coupons and grocery adds that shelter my mail on the counter and ignore them.

Through scientific method, I have determined that the cloak of invisibility for a stack of mail has a life of about two weeks. My study has yet to determine if the cloaking diminishes due to the effects of outside forces, such as creditors who demand payment, or the cloaks inability to sustain itself as the mass of mail overpowers its cloaking mechanism. Either way, the result of my as yet unpublished study, indicates that two weeks is the maximum sustained unopened time period for cloaked mail.

Thanks to the devious marketing techniques of mass mailing companies, it is nearly impossible to determine what mail needs to be opened and what could simply be chucked into the trash. I tend to open everything that has my name on it to ensure that no personally identifiable information lurks within. So that means that with the exception of the grocery circulars, I pretty much open everything. As soon as I recognize the mail is trying to sell me a mortgage or enroll me into some kind of protection scheme I hastily shred it into a thousand tiny pieces.

That brings me to the only truly enjoyable part of mail processing at Nabor Dan's... the shredding. I know it must seem somewhat juvenile, but the process of using a power shredder is cathartic. Watching the mail turn from informative targeted direct mail pieces, into tiny unidentifiable shreds is somehow uplifting. I can only think of shredding as the completion of the mail circle of life. I'm sure it goes something like this; idea, creative, printing, processing, mail handling, delivery, review, revulsion, shredding. I'm glad to do my part in helping every piece of mail achieve it's destiny. I think I need to start looking at industrial shredders.

- ND

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you should apply for a job at Dunder Mifflin, as they provide unlimited paper in a paperless world. Imagine the shredding you could do there!

alicewonderland said...

I'm rather under the impression that you aid in the creation of such malificent mail in your "day" job. Am I confused? Well, yes, but I mean on this topic.
Also, the same phenomenon occurs at my house until I get nasty notes from my postman. And then I empty the mailbox into the trash can. My Aunt has learned that if she wants to mail me something to send it to my parents house. How Sad.

Nabor Dan said...

Alice...

The walk from your door to your mailbox would turn Edmund Hillary away in fear.

- ND

Nabor Dan said...

I forgot...

I think that there is a new government program for people with driveways as vertical as yours. It's called no sherpa left behind.

- ND

Anonymous said...

Solution = Children.

Children think mail is magnificent. Their limited understanding of the world allows them to be excited about the possibilities presented by the constantly and magically refillnig mail receptical.

For them, it's like cell division. ...Something that is not to be understood or appreciated, but an affirmation of the magic of life on planet earth. If they ever find out about "junk mail" or "direct mail marketing" they will graduate into the Orwellian lives we live.

Protect the magic of the mail man and the mystery of the mail box.

...If for no other reason that it saves me time.

Bro. Dave

alicewonderland said...

Well, I must admit I had to wikipedia Sir Edmund Hillary. I've always been much more into artists and tech geeks than mountaineers.

And oddly enough, I have already begun plans to combine your Sherpa program with Bro. Dave's Child labor program. Bella and I have been discussing a visit to one of those fitness nut places with a rock climbing wall. It should be great training for her.