Thursday, August 27, 2015

Day 3...

We traveled from Kilkenny to Cork today. Having not been in the southern part of Ireland, I didn't know what to expect of the landscape. I'm finding it in contrast with the terrain I remember in the north. The southern part of Ireland is filled with rolling hills and farm fields. There are occasionally grazing herds of cow and sheep, but mostly farming. The harvest seems primarily to be grains. Wheat and corn typically. We traveled the longer road that routed us along the sea, and the views were incredible.

This is a shot from Charles Fort in Kinsale

In the afternoon we took a tour of the Old Jameson Distillery. I enjoyed the tour, and now have a better understanding of the distilling process. It is nice to know that a significant portion of the white oak that Jameson uses to age its whiskey is harvested in Missouri. Any time we get a shout out for the home state it's a good thing. The free samples at the end of the tour were appreciated.

The water wheel used in the Jameson grist mill.

In the evening we had dinner at a nice local restaurant. I had my first fish of the trip, and because I had neglected it for so long, I had a medley of fish options all on one plate. There was salmon, monk fish and cod all in different preparations. I enjoyed my fish with a salad and potato leek soup. All were wonderful.

As has become custom, we ended the evening with a tour of the local pubs. There are many, and we visited a few. We enjoyed some time in the snug at The Castle pub. 


More adventures are planned for day 4. Keep reading and I'll keep writing.

- ND



No comments: