Thursday, January 08, 2015

Meatloaf...

Tonight's main course is meatloaf. A hearty dinner choice for a frigid winter evening.

I'm a big fan of meatloaf. Bacon may be the candy of meats, but meatloaf is the loaf of meats, and that title has stood the test of time.

The time has come that meatloaf got the credit it deserves. It should be regarded as the finest loaf shaped meat entrée in the universe.

McCormick® Meat Loaf
But then... that isn't the story I came here to tell.

A few guests will be joining us this evening. As circumstances would have it, one of tonight's guests has never had meatloaf. I'm sure your reaction was the same as mine... what... wait... how is that possible? As the invitation was sent via text, I replied with "Tell me that is a joke". Which received the following reply, "Nope, Isn't it just a huge hamburger?".

Blasphemy!!!

I'm sure that I could spend hours expounding the differences between meatloaf and hamburgers. But I'll get right to it... hamburgers are great, but they're no meatloaf.

Hamburgers, while delicious, are shifty loaners that can be customized to the whims and taste of their consumer. Hamburgers are for finicky people who want things just so.

Meatloaf is the everyman's meat dish. No snobbery here. Everyone gets the same thing. Love me or leave me, you can almost hear it say.

And love you I do, you lovely bunch of loaf shaped meat goodness.

We shall see if the feeling is shared by the most recent initiate into the cult of loaf.

- ND

2 comments:

Steve Schmalfeld said...

Someone who has never had meatloaf??? Yeah sure, is he coming to dinner riding a unicorn?

Nabor Dan said...

I found it equally outrageous Steve.