Thursday, January 15, 2015

These Boots Weren't Made For Walkin...

Three days into my return to walking, I appear to have suffered an injury.

Here's what happened:

After deciding to resume my walking program I stopped in at the mall to scope the place out. The word on the street was that the mall had taken a downward turn and was a bit dicey. I didn't find that to be the case, and since I was already there, I proceeded to walk a single lap on the first day.

I returned on day two with the intent of ratcheting up one lap per visit until I hit 5 laps per session. The loop is nearly a mile, so adding a lap per visit until I reach 5 laps would get me quickly to my goal of 5 miles a day or better.This was day 2, and I hadn't really done much to prepare except put a radio app on my phone and get a pair of ear buds. That's where lack of planning hurts.

While the shoes I wear to the office are not what someone would consider dress shoes, they are also not walking shoes. Somehow in my planning I had forgotten to put walking shoes in the car.

Not one to be stopped by lack of planning, I walked twice in shoes that clearly offered little support. 

Yesterday I noticed that my foot hurt.

This morning I packed the sneakers in the car on my way to work. Moving forward I'll be better prepared. Unfortunately, it may take several days before my foot is up to the next walk.

- ND

No comments: