Wednesday, December 27, 2006

News of the mundane...

Because the end of the year is approaching, I decided that I needed to empty out my Flexible Spending Account (FSA) before it became a generous donation to the government. After a little thinking, I decide that the best way to spend the remaining money would be a trip to the eyeglasses store.


(My New Ray-Ban's)

My appointment was today, and I did my best to prepare by visiting another location of the chain last night to pick out frames. I decided that the best purchase would be 3 pairs. One for everyday, one for when I'm out having a good time and nice pair of cool sunglasses. I assumed that I would still have some FSA for the good people in Washington, but that's the price you pay for waiting till December 27th to take care of things.

But that's not at all how it turned out...

My total bill was $954, and that was after my vision package picked up $480 of covered expenses. What this all means is that I actually exceeded the amount in my FSA by about $30. Not a bad guess on the outfitting if you ask me... I get new specs, I leave no money on the table for the feds to swallow and I reduced my taxable income by $1000.

Tis a good (although rather mundane) day.

- ND

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for contributing to the economy. In healthcare we refer to this time of year as "elective surgery month." It's part of our long-term assault on Christmas that you've heard so much about in the conservative press.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, that is a lot of eye accessorizing for a straight, young man like yourself. Well, that is assuming you are still a straight, young man. Hmmmm. A question for me to ponder this fine, warm, winter's evening.

Anonymous said...

Did that leave you enough money for those glasses that have the attached eyebrows, nose and mustache?