Saturday, December 01, 2007

Kansas City weekend...

10:47 am and I'm the only one awake. Hardly your typical Saturday morning. Especially true if I was at home. Normally I'm the one sleeping till noon. Any doubt, see the previous post.

I'm sure that there are a number of factors for my early morning. The air mattress and sleeping bag are surely contributing factors. A twin air mattress is just not big enough for me. I have become accustomed to a full mattress or larger, and a twin just doesn't have the space for me to thrash around like I'm used to.

The sleeping bag really doesn't help either. Being forced into the decision of zipping it up and being confined to a thin little cocoon, or opening it up to be exposed on one side to the cold, is really not a good set of options. Perhaps I need to invest in a second, or two new sleeping bags, that I can zip together into a single large bag. I'm sure that the two bag solution would make for a more comfy sleep. Of course, I'd need a larger air mattress as well.

Really, I'm not sure that the air mattress or sleeping bags are the issue. I had another night of restless sleep because of my dreams. If you are a regular reader here then you will remember the dreams entry I posted a while back. They were back with a vengeance last night. I woke up several times, and each time I was haunted by the same type of dream. I'm sure that all of the updates about what has been going on with my life that started once I arrived in Kansas City are to blame. They say that your brain deals with the things you can't handle in the waking hours by bringing them into your dreams. I hope that's true, because I really don't want to think about this stuff when I'm awake anymore.

I've mentioned before that I don't remember my dreams. As today goes from morning, to afternoon to evening, I hope that the memories of my haunting dreams fade away. If not, I guess that having my friends here to distract me from them will at least make the forgetting easier.

-ND

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I do with creepy, disturbing dreams is immediately replay them but change the parts that bug me. For example, if some pervert kidnaps one of my kids, I'm there to punch him in the face and kick him in the groin so we can run away together. Probably not too helpful, but it works for me to control the situation even if it's after the fact. It reminds me of the saying: 'guard your thoughts because they become your words; guard your words because they become your actions.' I guess if you try to control your thoughts by changine the dream (albeit after the fact) maybe it will eventually lead to a change of action that is helpful.

ps. skip the sleeping bag and buy a down comforter. Yeah Baby!

alicewonderland said...

Perhaps a sleep marathon and just work through it? Although, I go with the take control method myself. Maybe a stuffed animal? Kids might be on to something with that. Having something to spoon can make things better, and if not you can take your frustration out on the toy.

Anonymous said...

Toy molestation is gross.

Anon.

Anonymous said...

Toy molestation may or may not be gross - who are you to judge? However, I would propose that it is dangerous: maybe some lead based paint, or perhaps some diethylene glycol with your teddy? Sweet dreams indeed!